aloo dum recipe
We all are very fond of potatoes. It’s a main vegetable which is mainly cooked with every vegetables. We have eaten so many dishes made with it, mostly dish made after boiling it.
We have eaten aloo curry, aloo chips etc.
Also, we have eaten aloo dum at our home.
Do you know the actual dhaba style aloo dum which is the real dish and most flavourful?
It is cooked within 30-35 minutes and very delicious. You can mainly find it in a dhaba or in restaurants.
So let’s check this out.
What are the ingredients used to prepare for aloo dum?
- Aloo( potatoes)- 10 ( medium size)
- Onion:- 4 ( medium size)
- Tomato :- 2 ( medium size)
- Red chilli :- 2
- Cashew :- 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves
- Green chilli :- 2
- Ginger :- 1 tea spoon ( chopped)
- Garlic :-1 tea spoon ( chopped)
- Coriander powder:- 1/2 table spoon
- Turmeric :- 1/2 table spoon
- Cumin powder :- 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds:- 1 table spoon
- Bay leaf :- 2
- Green Cardmom :- 3
- Black cardmom :- 1
- Cinnamon :- 1
How to make aloo dum ?
We need to first deep fry the aloo. Before deep frying we need to prik the potatoes. Prepare masalas, add water and prepare curry. Add fried potatoes and mix it. Cook at low flame.
Step wise aloo dum recipe
- Peel off the potatoes and prik aloo with the fork or knife so that it would cook from inside.
- Heat a pan and pour 1/2 cup of oil and deep fry the aloo.
- Fry it till it becomes golden brown.
- Take out and keep it aside.
- Keep the flame at medium and then deep fry .
- Again add 2 table spoon of oil.
- Let it get hot.
- Chop the onion and tomatoes.
- Saute chopped ginger and garlic. Add red chilli.
- Shallow fry cashew , onions and then fry tomatoes till it gets soften.
- After it gets fried , switch off the flame and let it get cooled and then prepare a paste of it.
- Now prepare masalas, add 3 table spoon of oil.
- Oil is hot , add cumin seeds , bay leaf , cardmom, cinnamon.
- Keep the flame at low and pour paste to it and mix well.
- Add cumin powder , turmeric , red chilli powder, dhaniya powder and mix well.
- Cover the pan for 5-10 minutes. If required stir in between these times.
- A nice colour will appear and we can see oil , side of the masalas. Add chopped green chillies and mix well.
- For the curry , add water and mix well. Add water as per your requirement.
- 2-3 cup of water.
- Mix it well and then add deep fried potatoes.
- Cover the pan and let the aloo get cooked properly and masalas will get inside. Sprinkle garam masala and mix well.
- Keep the flame at low.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now when it is prepared add chopped coriander leaves and mix it.
- Cover the pan and switch off the flame.
- After 5 minutes serve hot.
- Aloo dum is ready. Serve with steamed rice , or chapati.
Health Benefits of Potatoes
Potatoes aren’t usually thought of as nutritious. However, this all-purpose vegetable has some surprising health and nutrition benefits. Although french fries and potato skins may be heavy in fat and calories, the potato itself is fat and cholesterol free as well as low in sodium. Prepared the right way, potatoes can make a delicious, satisfying, and healthy dish.
Potatoes are the most commonly consumed vegetable in the United States. In 2017, it was calculated that each person consumed 49.2 pounds of potatoes. This beloved vegetable is easy to grow and is used in countless dishes across the country year-round.
Potatoes are a good source of fiber, which can help you lose weight by keeping you full longer. Fiber can help prevent heart disease by keeping cholesterol and blood sugar levels in check. Potatoes are also full of antioxidants that work to prevent diseases and vitamins that help your body function properly.
In addition, potatoes can provide the following health benefits:
The fiber found in potatoes is a special type called “resistant starch,” which has the health benefits of both soluble fiber and insoluble fiber and causes less gas than other types of fiber. You can up the amount of resistant starch in potatoes by cooking them a day ahead of time and cooling them in the fridge overnight. Feel free to reheat them before you eat.
Like soluble fiber, the resistant starch in potatoes acts as a prebiotic – food for good bacteria in the large intestine that improves gut health. Like insoluble fiber, it can prevent or treat constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
Potatoes are packed with antioxidants — compounds that fight free radicals from causing damage to your cells. A diet high in antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables lowers your risk of heart disease and cancer.
Some of the facts you must know!
Brown Chana fruits h ya vegetable. Brown Chana is a vegetable. It is particularly used in Indian cuisines to make curry thick. Also, people at home keep this and eat this as it is rich in fibre , protein.
If egg curry is not getting thick what needs to be done :- if you have made egg curry and the curry is not thick then add cornflour and water mixture to it and mix well. The curry will become thick.
It’s not only for egg curry but every curry when you want to make it thick , use 1 tea spoon of corn flour and 1-2 table spoon of water , mix well and then put it in the curry and mix well.